Tuesday, October 01, 2013

Happy Birthday Makenna! (and a Little Flashback Friday... on Tuesday)

I can't believe she is 9!  Her birthday filled me with nostalgia for some reason and I made up this little collage to see how shes grown.  I grabbed pictures from each year around her birthday. Its so fun to she how she has changed over the years. 



And since sadly I didn't have a blog back when Makenna was born I thought I would take this opportunity to reflect back on the special day when she was born and record what I can remember for history's sake.

So here we go...

Makenna was born on September 17th at 2:23pm at the Maple Ridge Hospital in Maple Ridge, British Columbia.  As best I can recall, she was induced on her due date though it might have been a few days early.  I went to the hospital really early that morning and they put the gel on my cervix.  I immediately started contracting and they sent me home to see what would happen. At home I took a bath and the contractions continued and got stronger, so a couple hours later, we headed back to the hospital.  I remember having intense labor pains in the elevator as I was heading to Labor and Delivery.  I was trying not to be an obvious woman in labor but I had to pause and breathe (and fight back the urge to cry) through each contraction.  When I got all checked in, they gave me laughing gas to deal with the pain while I waited for the anesthesiologist (who was also my doctor- it was a small town).  I remember that it seemed like forever waiting for that epidural.  The laughing gas really didnt dull the pain, it just made you feel very out of it.  I remember I would try to suck too much in because I felt like maybe I could pass out- which seemed like a nice idea at the time.  Well, I dont know how far dilated I was when Dr Burns arrived but shortly after I got my epidural it was time to push.  I was amazed that it only took a couple of pushes and she came out.  It was so much different than my first delivery.  I was absolutely thrilled to have a daughter.  I felt so very lucky to have her.  She was a very pretty baby-  and it wasnt just my biased mothers opinion-many people said that to me.  Pretty was the perfect word for her.
My mom stayed to help for a couple of weeks and then my in laws came to visit for a bit after that.  I remember thinking that I just could not possibly have done those early days and weeks without help.  Two kids was a lot.  Makenna was colicky as an infant.  She wasn't a good sleeper for the first few months but after that she was a great sleeper.  We used to put her in the swing in the kitchen at night as close to the kitchen fan as possible.   The first half of the night Kevin slept on a mattress downstairs in the living room and I took over for the early morning hours.  During the day time she would sleep wonderfully if I was holding her.  I treasured the times when Brayden was down for his nap and I would lay down on the couch with her on my chest and she would just sleep and sleep and sleep until I had to eventually stand up and then she would wake right up. 
Makenna was a hearty baby and put on weight very quickly.  She was always in the highest percentiles.  She was born weighing 8lbs 11ounces and never lost any weight after that.  By four weeks she was already up to 11pds 5 ounces.  She was a healthy baby.

So that's just a little memory, I wanted to record.  It makes me teary to realize shes not that baby anymore.  But anyways FLASH FORWARD...



We celebrated Makennas actual birthday with a special breakfast of sausage and toaster strudel.  Then she opened presents of roller skates from us and an American Girl horse from Grandma.  For dinner that night, we went to Chick Fil A.  That day at school she was going to a HAL (High Ability Learner) seminar so I couldn't bring cupcakes until the next day but then we did and I think overall, she would say her birthday was pretty great.

Love Love Love you Makenna!

No comments: