Friday, August 08, 2008

This post is not JUST about gardening

Maybe its not as exciting to you all as it is to me to watch my garden grow- so sorry- you can always click yourself right out of here, and I am not offended in the least. The good news this week is that we have eaten green beans from the garden twice this week and... we actually have melons growing!!! It's so exciting to me. I don't know that they will be any good, and I also cant tell apart the honeydew and cantaloupe because they look very similar in the flowering stage and totally indistinguishable in the "young melon" stage (I am guessing that is not a real term "young melon"- but you get the picture right). So here are a few snapshots. Feel free to play-
NAME THAT MELON:



So now for the very sad, very bad garden news... I am almost embarrassed to say it...my tomatoes....have... a... fungus. It breaks my heart. I have started spraying but it may be too late.
Apparently, you can still eat them- you just have to cut off the black parts- which is really hard since there is a lot of black, so I don't know that it will be worth it. I'll let you know how it goes. No one told me to spray earlier- I am so new at this and I was told these "Better Boys" were disease resistant- well apparently not- OYE!
Don't worry too much- it looks like the grape tomatoes I planted are mostly escaping the fungus so all is not lost- just most is lost ;(
So much for "au natural"--Next year I am doing fungicide and pesticides right from the start!

OK, moving right along, here is a picture of the kids swimming at the Owen's apartment pool on the roof in Downtown Omaha- they absolutely love it there- and I love it too since I can watch both of them from the edge without getting in- awesome!
And one final thing- a video of Brayden's favorite past time. Now I need advice here. Should I encourage this, ignore this, or forbid this (seeing as how he could easily land wrong on the floor and break his neck). Honestly please give me your honest opinion- before its too late!


OK I lied- one more final thing, a post script for all you Twilight-loving moms out there. I finished Breaking Dawn this week. It was good and I'll say nothing more . You can find my review, *complete with spoilers*, on goodreads.com
I am actually (surprisingly) really looking forward to the movie. I was skeptical before, but I have been watching the trailers and now I am feeling a lot more optimistic.

Have a good day everyone- I love you all!

9 comments:

Becky J. said...

Ah, I'm dying here! I'm to "book" 3 in Breaking Dawn (so halfway through) and want to talk with someone about it so bad! I don't know anyone here who's reading it and it's killing me! I can't wait to find out what happens. Why can't I just read it all day long? Too bad I actually have to be a good mom sometimes, too. I'll be back to read your review once I'm done reading. I'm glad you liked it.

Alysha Sladek said...

i love that you have a blog!!! thanks for adding me. ok i LOVED breaking dawn and can't wait for the movie. I know it won't be anywhere near as good as the book, but still... Also, I can't wait to get my hands on Midnight Sun.
those melons look good. where abouts are you living? must be somewhere warm if you're able to grow those.

Unknown said...

good gardening miss!
good flip brayden!

Jessica said...

i love that you love your garden! we planted one, too, but so far there's a lot of green growing but nothing has really come to fruit. we've got 1 tomato growing, and 1 bell pepper, and lots of flowering on the pumpkin vine, and a few cucumbers (but deer keep coming through and nibbling away on these plants). thats awesome that you have actually been able to eat some of your harvest!

i totally agree with your review of breaking dawn, i think i'm going to have to revise my review on goodreads now that i've read other people's opinions...

as for the flipping, i think it look like fun. it doesn't look like he will really hurt himself, but just in case, i would probably ignore rather than encourage.

hope you're doing well!

Nikki said...

cool garden. and the flip stunt was awesome :).
The movie looks very promising. I was kinda hesitant at first, but after I saw the unreleased clip from the Penelope dvd, I'm getting excited now (I rented the dvd just for the clip haha, lame i know..., but Penelope ended up being cute too).

Anonymous said...

Your poor tomatoes!! That is sooo sad. I saw your brother this last week. It is also sad that I don't see enough of my cousins. He is looking good. It was cute because he brought his two roommates with him. I felt bad that I didn't have any single ladies there for them to flirt with.
Oh and I am trying to read Breaking Dawn, but I am having a hard time sitting and enjoying myself when my baby has the worst cold ever!! Poor thing so instead of me reading I just hold him so he doesn't keep coughing. Love the blog!!
SARAH TEARE

Julie G said...

Cute melons!
Brayden looks like he is taking extra precautions about the flipping thing. It looks very safe ;) It's hard to know just how in control they really are. He does have a talent though.
I sortof finished breaking dawn and I enjoyed your review of it, I felt much the same. I skipped a few chapters because I got impatient near the end. For some reason I really didn't care after a certain point. Weird. And I really didn't appreciate all the sex talk. I mean was all that really necessary, she could've cut out a couple hundred pages without that garbage.

Tkent said...

i say ignore it- he'll get tired of it eventually...right? maybe encourage some gymnastics classes!

Norlund Clan said...

Hey Melissa, to get the list to show the updatesyou go to layout and then Add a Gadget. It is the one that says blog list. You then enter the website like when you do the list. I hope that makes sense, if not let me know.