Monday, June 28, 2010

Pictures of the Week

Summer sure does keep a blogger busy. Here are some of the photo highlights from last week...

This picture reminds me of those "You know your a redneck when..." jokes. Maybe we have lived in Nebraska too long :)
We went fishing with some friends last Saturday back to the same lake where Brielle and dad went a few weeks back. Brielle fell in the mud at the side of the lake so thats why she has no shorts on. We didn't have much luck catching though. We only got two and we had 6 rods going all the time for a good 2 or 3 hours. It was still a lot of fun and a good fish education for all.


And then on to Fathers Day. Hopefully all the Fathers I know had a great day. I did the traditional breakfast in bed and then for dinner I made some unsuccessful steaks but a very successful dessert. Awhile back Kevin was ooowing and aaahing over a recipe called "Chocolate Raspberry Pavlova" in Food Network Magazine- so I surprised him with it for Fathers Day. Apparently Pavlova is a common dessert in the UK but not so big over here. It's a meringue type base with cream and berries. Traditionally its not chocolate but the chocolate made it, so I wouldn't do it any other way. Kevin loved it and now wants a new tradition where we do a new exotic dessert every Fathers day.

Monday through Thursday Brayden had basketball camp at the high school. He did it with the Williams twins which is good because otherwise he felt quite displeased with his shooting performance, making the whole camp a bit of a disappointment for him- at least he got to be with friends.

While Brayden was at camp one day, the girls and I squeezed in a little adventure to a place called "Tiny Town." It's a kids play place with rows of mini houses for them to play in and a lot of other random stuff like this motor boat and the school bus. Kids love to play in things like that so the girls had a blast.


We all attended Brayden's first cub scout pack meeting. Brayden received his first belt clip thingy- so now we better go get him a belt :) And he earned his Bobcat rank.

And Makenna and I enjoyed an extra special mommy daughter date on Saturday. The Musical "Beauty and the Beast" is in town so it was a fabulous treat to enjoy together. I love my little princess! After the show we stopped at Sonic for some yummy ice cream.

And then the best for last:
When I came out of my bathroom on Sunday morning, this note was taped to the armoire in our bedroom. In case you can't read it, it says
"Dear Mom and Dad: Here's 25 cents for letting me go to Canada. Here's 25 cents for letting us go to Sonic. Here's 50 cents because I love you and dad. Keep it please."

aaaaaaaawh... What a sweetheart he is. He has a very giving heart.

The other exciting event of the week is that we booked tickets for me and the kids to go to Canada later in July. We have been debating this for a long time and for a long time thought we would only go if we drove. In the end though we just decided to bite the bullet and fly. The kids are really excited. Perhaps I over emphasized that this is costing a lot of money and it appears Brayden might have a bit of guilt about it- which I certainly don't want him to have... yet another parenting blunder on my part- but I do want my kids to be grateful and it looks like he is.
So what will I do with my big bucks, you ask?
... I think at his next lemonade stand, I'll splurge and buy myself four big ones :)

2 comments:

Heather said...

Looks like a fun week! Pavlova is Josh's favorite dessert (he ate it in Australia on his mission), and I frequently make it for Father's Day AND his birthday! But I've never done Chocolate; maybe I'll try that next time! I've never heard of Tiny Town--where is it? Looks like fun!

Anne-Elizabeth said...

Hey Brandvold's, long time no see! Congrats on your news about the next boy, a bro for Brayden! The kids are growing so fast. Hi to all of you from the Hoven's :)