Monday, January 05, 2009

Uncle Scott and a Hospital Party

Oh the holidays... we are sad to see them go. We had, for the most part, a great two weeks with Kevin off of work, the kids home from school, fabulous Christmas celebrations, and to top it all off- a visit from the very missed, very popular and much adored, Uncle Scott.

And now for the hospital part. The one hiccup to our holiday splendor was poor Makenna's health afflictions. Makenna was sick a couple of weeks ago (in fact I think I blogged about it). She seemed to get better just in time to enjoy Christmas, but shortly thereafter her ailments resurfaced. I took her to the doctor promptly on last Monday morning. I told them she had a fever, a cough and thanks to a fellow bloggers "comment" on my previous post I suspected possibly a UTI (that is a urinary tract infection, for all those lucky enough not to be familiar with the term). They listened to her chest, suspected pneumonia, which they confirmed with x-ray, took a urine sample, suspected a UTI- which was confirmed days later by the lab and then got suspicious about sugar in the urine and did a blood glucose check. They sort of got all freaked out on me and sent us straight to the hospital.
Makenna was in the hospital for a little over 24 hours. She loved every minute of it. They did a lot of testing on her and all of the results were good. They were immediately suspecting diabetes but all her later blood sugar tests were fairly normal so we think we are in the clear for that- at least that's what they tell me- I can't say I feel at peace about it all. The morning after Makenna was checked into the hospital, I was back at the doctor's office with Brielle who had a fever and who's breathing just wasn't sounding quite right. Luckily she just had an ear infection and a bit of wheezing, so we were sent home with a nebulizer and antibiotics. She might end up having asthma like her brother but it's too early, they say, to diagnose at this point. Anyways, at that visit our doctor said that she was sorry for getting me so worried about Makenna and she was surprised, but glad of course, that Makenna was turning out to be just fine (aside from the pneumonia and UTI). They are chalking up her high blood glucose levels to "stress." I suppose those two unpleasant infections that had carried on for quite some time could certainly cause her poor little body some stress.
Don't feel to badly for Makenna though. She really lived it up in the hospital- asking the nurses to tend to her every whim and having the undivided attention of her dad- she was in heaven- the needles and finger pricks were a small price to pay. In fact, after I took her to the doctors for a follow up appointment today, she threw quite the tantrum when we were leaving because she wanted to be going to the hospital, not home. I only got her out of there because we do have to go to the hospital later in the week for "voiding cystourethrogram" and an ultrasound of her kidneys. (By the way, if any of you reading this have had to take your kids to get a voiding cystourethrogram, let me know- I am feeling a bit uneasy about it).
So, back to our holiday splendor... we tried to show Scott a good time in Omaha, despite our sickness circumstance. We visited Winter Quarters and were lucky enough to catch their annual gingerbread display. We walked around the cemetery there and saw the temple too. And yes, we unabashedly tried to get him to move to Omaha on two big selling points 1. the Amazing Pizza Machine and 2. Creighton University--- yeah yeah, the odds are not in our favor but you can't blame us for trying :) (I know Scott you won't like the above picture since your eyes are closed but its too great a memory to leave out :)I don't know what it is about Omaha and puzzles but all our guests seem to become hooked whenever they visit. Scott slaved tirelessly on this one, but despite an ingenious system of organization, he just couldn't get it done. Maybe if I had been a little less occupied with sick kids I could have been more help- but we will keep it here waiting for him or anyone else who comes to visit...
any takers?

13 comments:

SOFTLEY FAMILY said...

Sorry to hear about your hospital visit. Makenna sounds just like Erin when she was in the hospital (falling out our second story window) Erin was just fine and loving the nurse call button. She got movies and ice cream and popsicles to her hearts content. Don't feel like a bad mom. The only reason I thought of a UTI is because I let Madison's go on for days and days not suspecting what the problem was. Madison has done the voiding cystourethrogram. She did not like it but it was not as bad as I thought it would be. She had hers after only one day on the antibiotics for her UTI and I think that made it more uncomfortable than it needed to be. Madison has to have it done again soon...we're waiting for it to be scheduled. I hope for your sake they find that everything is normal.

Mikelle said...

Wow..what a crazy couple of weeks. I hope McKenna is feeling better and all checks out!

Anonymous said...

Poor little thing... actually I should say poor you!! She on the other hand isn't too worried about her sickness because of the top quality care at the hospital, but you on the other hand are not doted on with information saying that your daughter will be okay and nothing will hurt her later on in her life. It is scary to be in charge of children and see them sick. I have never heard of a voiding cystourethrogram, but I have had an ultrasound of my kidneys. Of course that is not too bad. It looks like you kept Scott pretty busy while he visited.

Jessica said...

wow! i can't believe all that has happened! that is so funny that makenna was loving all the hospital attention. that SO sounds like how grace would be if she ever needed to be there.

i hope everything works out with the upcoming tests!

Becky J. said...

Wow, what an experience! I hope everything will be fine with Makenna, but that's hilarious that she loved being in the hospital so much. I hope she always has only good experiences there so it doesn't taint her view of it. Hope you had a great Christmas!

Unknown said...

Omaha is a blast! I highly recommend others to visit

Grandma Eilie said...

We really missed you this Christmas but it was very fun to review your blog. I know this blogging thing takes time and effort but as I did a quick review of your life as shown by the blog - it is really worth it.
Love
Dad

Tenay Jo said...

I'm so sorry to hear that Makenna was in the hospital. It sounds like she was a little trouper, but still, that isn't much fun. Especially around Christmas. Either way, it looks like you guys still had fun. I hope she is feeling better now.

Jennifer said...

Hope that everything ends up being okay. It's not fun to be sick, especially during Christmas. I'm so glad yo had some company! Omaha is a fun place to visit!

Rachel Durazzani said...

That's scary but it sounds like she'll be okay. Good luck. No fun spending time in the hospital but it doesn't look like she was lonely!

Alysha Sladek said...

i hate hospital visits, no matter how short. sorry to hear she had to go there and that your girls were sick. i hope they're doing better.

Julie G said...

Poor Kenna. I'm glad everything worked out ok. Wish I could be there to help out with the puzzle. Love you guys!

Ames said...

That must of been quite the scare! Your Doctor was right to worry, my neighbor's little boy was just diagnosed with type 1 diabetes, and he had the same symptoms (bed wetting and spilling proteins). Wow, what an adjustment for their family, so I am so grateful MaKenna is okay.
Glad that Scott was able to visit. We sure enjoyed having him over for Thanksgiving.