Sunday, July 08, 2007

Washington D.C.


This weekend we decided we should visit the temple. On Friday we left Hershey about noon and arrived at our hotel in Silver Spring Maryland about two o 'clock (not too bad of a drive). That afternoon we took the kids to see the temple grounds then we went to eat and then I went to do a session while Kevin took the kids to the pool and put them to bed. On Saturday morning, we met up with the Bassett's and Kevin did a session with them while I played with the kids. For the most part, it worked out pretty well. It is a beautiful temple and I am so glad we made the effort to get there before our summer here ends. Saturday afternoon we set out to see the sites of D.C. This is a shot of the White House, which was taken by Kevin using the zoom of our camera, and below is a shot of the White House (with Brayden) which more accurately depicts the view us tourists get.
And here we are in front of the Washington monument. We seem to be looking directly into the sun, which will help explain our facial expressions. Unfortunately, I cant tell you much more about the significance of the monument. I sure could use a refresher course in US history.
It was a very hot day in Washington- though some I was with were saying it was actually quite dry and so the 97 degree heat was not that bad- I guess its all in how you look at it. Luckily we found a little fountain to get ourselves a much needed cool down- yes even I enjoyed a little splash.
The Lincoln memorial was a definite highlight in our site seeing. It was very cool and powerful and I am glad we walked and walked and walked to get there. I would recommend visiting D.C for sure though try to time it when you don't have small children or pregnant women with you as they can be a bit whiney in the heat. Special thanks to our photographer and tour guide, Kristi. We were so lucky to have her join us and I wish I would have taken her picture.
All in all, a great weekend!

2 comments:

Julie G said...

Man, your blog posts lately are simply fascinating! What an amazing summer for you guys.

Jessica said...

i second that! it seems like y'all are doing something big every weekend. i am impressed. especially since you're pregnant! summer time is my least favorite time of the year when i'm pregnant.

i loved the picture of the kids in front of the temple hugging each other. so cute. and i've been meaning to comment about brayden's picture on the sidebar. its hilarious!