Thursday, July 05, 2007

Happy Birthday Kevin

In keeping with tradition we had the famous flag cake (the small version) and yes it does look like I am getting a bit sloppy (esspecially with the stars) but it still tasted delicious. It was a special challenge this year not having my usual equipment. We had to mix it all by hand with a small metal spoon and use a serrated knife to zest the lemon- just like those poor pioneers. I splurged though and bought a new pan to put it in. Unfortunately I am quite sure I left the pan in the shopping cart because it was no where to be found when I went to make the cake (lets call that one "pregnancy brain"). So I knocked on the neighbors door and borrowed a pan (hence the smaller version cake). It all worked out though and I think Kevin would say he had a good birthday- I hope. We were joined by the Bassetts and were able to celebrate Alexa's special birthday as well. I even attempted cooking my first batch of ribs- which went more smoothly than I would have expected. All in all, despite the cool weather, which thwarted our pool plans, I think we managed to have a good day.


At night we watched the fire works from the lawn just outside our house. Brayden even got to stay up for that and I know he enjoyed his special time with daddy. When he saw the first star in the night sky he told Kevin that he made a wish and the wish was that we could be a family forever. What a sweetheart he can be. (I thought I should note Kevin was happy- even though this particular picture doesn't show it).

3 comments:

Julie G said...

KEVIN!! HAPPY BIRTHDAY!! I'm sorry we didnt phone. I kept remembering then forgeting. Hope you had a great day. Cant wait to come visit!!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday Couz!! I am glad to hear you had a great day! Hope to talk to ya soon!

Phil Matkin said...

Hey Miss - What a great experience! I am very happy that your little family had the opportunity to create some nice memories. I have always wanted to visit DC. Maybe some day.
Love
Dad