Thursday, October 09, 2014

The Big Move

So here it is October and I am way behind on blogging.  Moving and then trying to renovate a house has really put me behind (in so so many ways).  Luckily there are plenty of iphone photos to remind me of what we have been up to so I'll try to recap it all for your viewing pleasure.
 So Kevin was working in Dallas while I was living back in Omaha with the kids for about a month.  It was a lonely month.  Luckily my sweet mother in law stayed with us for a bit and I spent some of the time in Utah but overall it wasnt a fun time- living apart.  I made the very foolish mistake of thinking I would get Dallas' dew claws removed before I moved.  That was far more of an intense surgery and recovery than I expected which caused a lot of stress for me- but oh well- whats done is done.
This picture of Dallas in the cone reminds me of the good times I had sitting out on my driveway watching kids play and chatting with neighbors as they passed by.  We had a great neighborhood.  I miss it.  Im sure in time I will feel the same about our new neighborhood but it takes time...

Here we are at the airport- ready to embark on our new adventure.
And here the kids are enjoying the apartment pool.  We were only living in Kevins corporate housing for about 5 days or so.  It was enough.  Apartment living with four kids and a dog is not for me.  The pool though was quite nice.

And here is the pictures of our new house from the real estate listing.  Real estate pics tend to make everything look bigger than it actually is.  But here (for my own memories sake) are the listing pictures.





As far as packing and loading and moving and unpacking and unloading goes- well as expected it wasnt fun.  We were very blessed to have movers so the only real work was unpacking.
 Whats this a picture of you ask?  Well thats Dallas' tail under the bed.  The actual move was hardest on him than anybody else.  He developed a pretty bad case of stress colitis.  I'll spare you the details but that was awful.  He was pretty depressed for a couple days but then he came around and is now a happy Texan.
Here is Emmitt enjoying our pool.  As you can imagine, the pool was the highlight of the new house.  The kids love it and got constant use out of it before school started.
And here we are at our first Dallas Cowboys game (pre season).  Kevin got tickets at work so we took our new friends, the Schaaks who just live down the street for us and have been so good to us- feeding us many meals and welcoming our family to the neighborhood.  They are good people!
After we got (mostly) unpacked, the first thing on my list was painting.  I really couldnt bare the stark white with the dark purple accent walls.  So this sample painting was HOPEFULLY the only time Emmitt paints on the walls.  I went with the color that he is putting on the walls in this picture.  Its called smokey taupe and Im really happy with it- (though I did totally freak out part way through the painting job... but in the end its all good).

And then after the painting was done, I had the banister stained darker and then we tore out the tile and carpet and put in hardwood and next on the agenda is the kitchen.  Details to come...

Overall moving is TOUGH but its done and looking back it all went fairly smoothly.  Now we are settling into our new house and new life and all is well.  It will take time until life here feels normal but so far everything here is great and I look forward to my new normal life coming soon...

No comments: