Saturday, December 15, 2012

Cake-tastrophy!

So I havent done wedding cakes in a while but I was asked by a girl in our ward to do hers.  She didnt want a fondant cake so this was the first time I made a wedding cake without it.  I wont ever do that again. 

At around 1pm on the friday of the wedding I was finishing up the cake.  I had it all smoothed out and I was piping on the little details when I got lost in what I was doing and didnt realize that half the cake board must have been hanging off the counter because all of a sudden before I knew it, the cake crashed to the floor with a thud.   Immediately I scooped it back up and put it on the counter hoping to salvage it.  I was in shock.  I then proceeded to have a meltdown and called Kevin who rushed home.  After some deepbreathing I made calls all over looking for some cake to buy to replace the smashed portion of the cake.  I had no time to start baking.  We ended up with some sheet cake from Hyvee that we cut to size to fill in what had smashed.

Here is the cake after I scooped it off the floor and smooshed it back together and mentally got to the point where I could almost laugh at the situation

Here we are filling in with our cut out sheet cakes from hyvee.

And voila here it is all done.  Even if it hadnt fallen to the floor it wouldnt have been one of my favorite cakes anyways- just not really my style.  Unfortunately sometimes you have to do what the bride wants though :)

In the end it was lopsided and uneven and fairly flawed.  But I think if you just glance at it as most will do at the reception, then its just fine.  Also, the blessing was that I was doing the cake for free.  Luckily this never happened when I was being paid by strangers or it would've been even more stressful for me.  I was pretty much in cake retirement already but now I am even more retired.  Kuddos to my heroic husband who rushed in and problem solved when all I could do was cry.  He rocks!  I have the Best Husband Ever!

1 comment:

Jodi said...

Wow, Melissa! I'm so impressed with your recovery! I had no idea any of this had happened when I saw it at the reception. It still turned out beautifully!