Friday, December 03, 2010

My Life Saver Awards

Life with a new baby and three other kids can be a bit crazy. Lucky for me, I have found a few things that are really helping me through...

So in first place, my most miraculous life saver- da da da da...

My Chiropractor- yet again working miracles in my life. Emmitt has now seen her two times and after the second visit he slept that night a huge record breaking 5 HOURS! This is a pretty significant leap from doing 1-3 hours (with 3 being the exception and 1 being common) that he usually does with fussy periods in between. Last night I didn't get a 5 hour stretch but I got two three hour stretches with a completely calm relaxed baby eating and going right back to sleep. It's a definite noticeable difference. He even slept after 4am without being held which he usually never does. For some reason his digestive system goes crazy between the hours of 4 and 7 am and usually he is so gassy that he can't settle at all.
So thank goodness my sleep life is gradually improving because sleep deprivation has some undesirable consequences... exhibit A:
I thought it was only boys living on their own for the first time that make this mistake but its also apparently sleep deprived mothers that do it as well. Yes I put dish soap in the dishwasher...ooops!

Okay back to my Life Saver Awards.

The Silver Medal goes to:We just signed up this month and the timing couldn't have been better. We get movies through our Wii so Brielle is totally occupied whenever I need her to be... it's a life saver! Its also been nice for Kevin to have something to distract him while he stays up late with little Emmitt. I'm looking forward to the days when I can stay up past 8pm so I can enjoy some movies too... maybe some day!

And in third place, my latest baby discovery: the sling!
I started using the "Sevens sling" but felt like it wasnt big enough for me or baby:

Then I bought the balboa baby sling and the moby wrap. I think I will take the wrap back- it's cool but the two times I tried it out, Emmitt wasnt a fan and its pretty bulky to tote around. (In case its been a while since you have seen me, that is only me in the first picture- I haven't undergone any makeovers or plastic surgery ...heeheehee)

Typically my babies have gotten big so fast that baby carriers haven't worked for me and my aching back but since Emmitt needs to be held or rocked to stay asleep during the day- the sling is super handy- especially around dinner making time. Its also been fabulous for trips to the store since he cries in his car seat but sleeps almost instantly in the sling.

And that is it... my coping secrets in a nutshell...

5 comments:

Heather said...

I'm impressed that you were calm enough to take a picture of the dishwasher!

We recently signed up for Netlix too. It's pretty nice.

I'll have to get the name of your chiropractor!

Ashlee Marie said...

it get's better! Give yourself 6 months with the 4th to get back in the grove of things. You'll do GREAT! And it is Oh so worth it.

Grandma Eilie said...

I am glad to see you getting a bit of relief. Hang in there! You will overcome!

Jessica said...

okay, so i totally need to try out that sling for next time around. does it not hurt your back as much as a baby bjorn type carrier? and i will definitely keep a chiropractor in mind if i ever have a sophie baby again! i'm glad you have your coping mechanisms. babies are so sweet but life is so hard when you have a new one (and a few others to keep track of as well.)

Unknown said...

I LOVE that you tried the sling, and LOVE even more that it is working for little...or not so little...Emmitt! It is so awesome that the Chiropractor is working for him, liek we talked about a few weeks back, I am a FIRM believer in the power of Chiropractics!