Tuesday, December 16, 2008

The blog gets an update on the day that just won't end

So it might not be fair to call it the day that just won't end yet...seeing as how it is only 1pm
- but that is how today is feeling.
I woke up at 4:30 to Makenna crying in a wet bed. She was on her 5th night of a fever which seems to come with bed wetting- a completely new thing for Makenna. It's getting tiresome, to say the least. I am hoping that it is just a symptom of sorts from her sickness and not yet another chapter in Makenna's never-ending-potty-training-saga. When I finally got back to bed, my mind started to race and I couldn't sleep, and well I figured I might as well get started on my workout. My goal this month is to double my normal 30 minute workout so that I can enjoy the treats of the season without guilt (we'll see how long this lasts:).

Anyways, today we got our first real dump of snow and it is bitterly cold outside. So yet again we are housebound- thus the "day that just won't end." And so...
Sick kids + cold weather + stir crazy mother = blog update.

Did I mention we call her trouble? It's funny how since I started blogging, whenever my kids do something messy, rather than rush to clean- I rush to get the camera.
I know this is just a messy stage for eating but, of course, she had to discover this new and exciting trick (which had the kids in hysterics) on a morning when I actually had to go somewhere. I finally got to start teaching cake decorating and since Kevin was out of town, I had to pick up a sitter- bright and early on a Saturday morning!
And in case you are wondering, those are hashbrowns with ketchup. Yep-Ketchup in hair- always fun!

Some of our neighbors had a Christmas party with an actual Santa. I dressed up the kids, hoping to get a cute picture of all of them with Santa, but Brielle would not even go in the room without shaking in horror. Oh well 2 out of 3 isn't bad.
The cutest part was watching Makenna with Santa because she truly believed that was indeed the one and only Mr. Claus and she felt like we were all pretty lucky he was there. She stared at him all night and climbed on his lap every chance she got.

And last, but not least, an homage to my childhood Christmases Last night we (in alternating shifts because of sickness) delivered these popcorn goody plates to all our neighbors. When I was growing up we always made these popcorn Christmas trees to deliver to our friends for Family Home Evening- only the ones we did were much larger, without the cookies or the cheesey tag, but with jujubes instead of M&M's. Shockingly enough, when I asked Kevin to pick up some jujubes at the store, he didn't have a clue what I was talking about. Apparently this candy, while extremely common in Canada, is nowhere to be found in the USA. How we managed to be married for over 7 years and not ever encounter this problem before- I have no idea!

8 comments:

Jennie said...

We used to LOVE jujubes! I think you can still get them at Target. They are in a green box with all the theater candy boxes. But the trees look super cute with M&Ms!!

Hope your house gets to feeling better! Let me know if you need anything!!

Grandma Eilie said...

Sorry to hear about all your sickness - Christmas time is notorious for ill children! Hopefully you can overcome before the big day. Great Christmas treats! They look yummy. I like M&Ms better that jujubes anyway!

Mikelle said...

Hope your kids are feeling better. Great pictures and where are you teaching a cake class? Sounds fun!

Tkent said...

i am sure i've seen and eaten jujube's here in the US, but not recently...cute trees anyway!

Alysha Sladek said...

cute popcorn tree. it looks yummy. i didnt' know you taught cake decorating! that's awesome! mmmm jujubes sound really good right now. ;) MERRY CHRISTMAS!

jlthomas said...

Very cute! I may have to copy you sometime...and I love cheesy sayings like that, so cute!

SOFTLEY FAMILY said...

Your goodie plates are so cute! Whenever someone from David's family is coming down from Canada or visiting there is always an order put in for jujubes. They get industrial size bags. We do have a similar candy here in the US but there is no substitute for Canadian Confections. David's family also prefer smarties to M&Ms.

Has MaKenna ever had a UTI? Our Madison has those and that would explain the fever and the sudden bedwetting. Hope she feels better soon.

Jessica said...

i totally know what jujubes are. we used to get them at the movies when we were kids. do they not sell them there anymore?

grace is also my never-ending potty-training nightmare. luckily she never wets the bed (she ironically will wake up to go to the bathroom on time) but has "just a little accident"s all day long almost every single time she has to go to the bathroom because she waits too long to go.

sorry about the neverending day! those are never fun. especially when you're housebound with sick kids :(