Thursday, August 16, 2007

3 Weeks!

So for the past three weeks I have been husbandless. Kevin is now finally back from Hershey and we are so happy to have him home with us. He completed an extremely successful internship and returned with an abundance of chocolate and an offer from the company for him to return full time after graduation. Time will tell if that is the path we will take.
As for me, it was not easy being on my own but I must say I did fairly well- primarily due to an extended visit from my mom and a briefer visit from my dad. Yes I did have help so you cant feel too sorry for me. However, my biggest accomplishment was potty training Makenna, which I did on my own the first week. She is doing very very well and we are so happy about that, since she can now officially attend preschool in the fall.

Here in Utah it is peach season and we have enjoyed our share in this house. This picture is Makenna eating her first whole peach. It also explains why my kitchen floor is always so sticky these days.

Here is a "glimpse" of the candy Kevin brought home. It was just what we haven't put away yet but we have even more. I requested only the soft baked cookies and I got a whopping 72 of them. Stay tuned for the weight gain. I suppose you could say it's a job perk cause we didn't pay for any of it. Yes, we are going to have to get busy giving it away.

Makenna got her first hair cut a couple weeks back. It was more of a trim and you couldn't really see a difference when she was done. She was a good sport and even enjoyed it, I think.

And here is what I have really been up to. I made 48 jars of jam- some strawberry and some peach and canned 12 jars of peaches. It was both my first canning and jamming experience so it was a good for me to learn. I also was given some zucchini from a friend and produced 6 loaves to freeze and eat. Oh and I made two peach pies and froze three big bags of strawberries. Kevin says it means I am nesting but it is a bit early for that. I think I am just enjoying the delicious fruits of the seasons.

6 comments:

Tenay Jo said...

I am so jealous that you got all the candy from Hershey! It looks so tasty, especially the Peanut Butter Cups. Mmmm, they are my favorite. I think it would be so much fun for Kevin to work there...then again, it might be a bad thing too. Too much free candy can lead to too much fat on the tummy. :)

I'm glad Kevin is home with you all again and I'm so proud of all your homemaking skills. Way to go on canning!

Julie G said...

Yeah!! A new post. I've been waiting for it but it's been worth waiting for. I am so impressed with your canning and jamming. That is one homemaking skill that has always intimidated me. Maybe you'll have to help me out one day. I guess I shouldve come to Utah, just so I could learn this skill. Congrats to Kevin on his offer from Hershey!! Exciting times ahead for your family! And congrats to Makenna for mastering the potty. That's awesome.

Alyson M. said...

Woah, Melissa! You homemaking diva, you! It is fun to hear about your job offer from Hershey. I am not surprised they want Kevin. Thank goodness the intership stage of your program is over. Now, on you go to the bigger and better things. Like graduation! You'll be done before you know it. ps--I missed you at the reunion.

Rachel Durazzani said...

Okay, Melissa, this is Rachel Durazzani from the ward. I just saw your site linked on the Dibbs blog. Kind of random but I thought I'd say hi. You can check mine out at durazfam.blogspot.com.

Amy and Cameron said...

Rachel, I hope it is okay that I send this message on the their blog (love the blog by the way), but Kevin and I were comps on the mission. We go waaaaaay back.

Amy and Cameron said...

I guess I should explain that Rachel was in my freshman ward (sorry for the random comments)